marți, 30 august 2016

Fagaras ridge in 3 days

Fagaras Mountains 
App. 80 km 
App. 5800 D+
3 days
Altitude max 2535 m, average > 2000 m
Fagaras Mountains in Romania

Voir en plein écran

It took me 30 years to get the chance to hike in the Fagaras Mountains. There are many more places I did not visit yet in my country. Now I catch up.

I have a 1 week vacation, slightly less because of an unexpected incident.
Did not want to take up unnecessary stuff. Just go as light as possible. No tent, no matress. Sleep only in mountain huts (as in Fagaras there are plenty). To many in my opinion.
although I like eating, alot, I had to restrain myself. The chili peppers where awesome!
well, as I had to book a room 6 h only before my arrival (i did not get much luck). All guest houses in Turnu Rosu (which had to be my start point) were not receiving guest I had to take up a room in Podu Olt, some km away. So, the room cost a fortune, it was cold (lightly furnished, dirty and most of all... there was company, 4 legged company, that is.)
Day 1
Tuesday 30.08.2016 
Podu Olt - Ref. Caltun
Woke up 3 a.m., quite rested. I was anxious :) to catch the 4 o'clock train. 
In the pitch dark I did not even see the dogs that chased me trying to get a little bit of my tiny ass. 
The atmosphere was strange, the train was arriving slowly, time passed slowly, the dark, I felt in the communism period once more. 
Because the hike was a while ago, I did not really care to write down the times of passage :) and all that stuff, km and statistics and so. I only had a map, had an idee, I'll try to do it in as less time as possible, so that I could go to Campeni, sa sed un pic pe prispa. 

So maybe I started walking around 4 a.m. from Turnu Rosu train station. It was my first time there and luckily for me I have found the markers even if sometimes I was in pitch dark. 
At around 7 a.m; I was up and going, but the weather was pretty bad. I feard the worse when I've seen the fast clouds coming. 
Custura Saratii. I did not know who she was, till I got there. (in fact it's a tricky passage). Looked down, well, I didn't feel like doing it and I crossed myself when I've seen the escape route. I thought that maybe seeing my pumpkin to bits and pieces on the rock might not be a very pleasant sight...so took the escape route.
Negoiu summit (2535 m)
Sorry there aren't many pics because I'm not a pro:)
Caltun Lake. Arrival pretty early 5 p.m.. I wanted to continue, but I didn't see where I could sleep. The next hut was pretty far away and I didn't want to risk it. 
Stayed at the refuge. 
2 h later a very strong storm came. It's been a while since I've last seen the mountains and especially a storm, so I forgot the full force it has. heavy rain and thunder all night, very strong winds. Sincerely...one like this I thought could blow me away from the face of the Earth. During the night I thanked all spirits that I wasn't outside and that it did not cathc me up there. I thought I woudn't have survived if I was still up.

Day 2
Wednesday 31.08.2016 
Ref. Caltun - Ref. Curmatura Zarnii
6:30 a.m. summit of Laitel (2300 m)
Good night's sleep on the wooden bed, no matress:); I didn't want to wake up all folks in the reufge to early, so I got out only at 6 a.m., or before? I forgot, but it was still dark and I was in full thick fog. So, did not know much for the weather..hoped it will be ok. The best part in waking up early besides the morning freshness and light is that you can see the wildlife, not yet disturbed.
Lake Balea 
Lake Capra
Towards fereastra zmeilor and later on a section of scrambling, maybe grade 2, but enough to make me want to s*** my pants, because there were no people around. The last ones I've seen was at Capra. 
changing and menacing clouds all day. I was sure it will rain but did not know at what time of day.

All along the way...GARBAGE. I couldn't stand it anymore. The country is spectacular, and there we are. I was truly shocked, belive me. Because nowhere I had walked up until now, I had never ever seen sights as such. I do not understand.
Podragu Lake
hai, valea :p. Love them. In the mountains there are many shepsherds. And I liked seeing them with their flock. I gave my a sense of home, of a tamed monuntain, of magic or friendship..don't know but it was comforting to see them there even if they were miles away from me. 

yet again.
and again, and again, and again
I have climbed Vistea peak and passed by the Moldoveanu peak (highest in the country, as I told myself: this hike is magical but I will come back again and go to Moldoveanu with my sweatheart, hand in hand and ask him to pay me (for the guiding that is) in gipfelkusses, as many as all peaks we cross on the ridge:p 
Urlea Lake
the last hour was never ending
 
                                                             there I am and glad to be. 
made a team with a 3 great guys from Hungary. Thanks a mill. They sure do a wonderful and comforting stew with real carrots and fresh diced onions. Very kind to have taken care of me.

Day 3
Ref. Curmatura Zarnii - Sebes - Campeni (Tara Motilor)

So I'll not get into detail about what has this 3 days brought me. I'll keep it in my heart (although I like to share) (just because it take a hell a lot of time to write all this). 
Anyway I asure you it was magical.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu